24 Jul 2026

Sorry This Is Late,

Right, let me start this with saying that I am under no illusions that there are people sat there hitting refresh on my blog page waiting for the next riveting instalment of whatever drivel I happen to be posting about next but I like my routine and I don't much like when it gets interrupted, even when it is a facade of a routine like this is because I can queue a few posts up when I can... Despite all of that, I'm sorry this is going to be posted a few hours late of my usual scheduled time of noon on a Monday, Wedneday and Friday. Partly because I'm sorry to myself. 

So why is it late? 

Well, as anyone who has read any of my posts in the last few months will know, things at home, in life, etc, are BUSY at the moment, and I feel like I'm chasing my tail constantly to keep on top of things like chores (God, I love washing, it's never friggin' ending, especially with a baby), food (try having the energy to cook when everyone eats something different and the baby doesn't like being left on his own for even thirty seconds!), wedding prep (I'm not even thinking about how soon it is now, because the number of weeks is counting down and we're nearly into the calendar month that it is, which kind of makes me feel sick because I feel like there is still a lot to do) and general baby raising.

Up until recently, I could find a minute to do things - not many, but the bare minimum to be called things is two, and breathing counts as one, right??? - when little man was napping, or playing in his jumper (my health visitor has seen it and approves of it so it's not one of these that is bad for their health or development) but all of a sudden the jumper is the enemy and naps are a conspiracy, and don't even get him started on the travel cot I've been using as a play pen... There has been screaming, crying and iff he had words then I think that my little lad would just be singing McFly's 'I Wanna Hold You' or a new version, like I Wanna You To Hold Me. Constantly. Forever. Or just I Wanna Hold An Infinite Bottle...

Look, I know it is most likely teeth, or sleep regression or something like that, but it's difficult when I have more to do and less time to do it because there's no napping going on, and even when I tried to put Up on to settle him for a bit, there was no calm to be had. (Before you judge, I was feeling pretty damn desperate at that point, so I tried it!) 

Don't get me wrong, I know the time I have off of work with my son is a privilege and I'm trying to enjoy every minute of it, because I know it will be over almost as soon as I can blink but at the same time it can be truly testing when all I want to do is go to the bathroom, get a shower, have something to eat, write a blog post, or something, but I can't because he just sounds distressed and nothing really stops him. All the usual tricks won't help him sleep, he's only just eaten and if he eats too much, he will be sick. I know there are carriers and slings and things, but that only works for walking around because for chores I would be limited in movements, and he gets bored pretty quickly, too.

The only thing I can do, or that we can do, the baby and I, is keep plodding on.

No comments:

Post a Comment