26 Aug 2026

It Doesn't Have To Be Perfect,

Let me start this off with saying I'm not a girl who has imagined my wedding from being a small child. I've seen wedding dresses I've loved and trends I have hated, but I've never been the girl who has known what colours she would choose, what flowers she wanted, the dress, the shoes, the food and everything. I had an idea of the dress and I bought something pretty close to it, but then it didn't fit.

As we've been going along in this planning process though there have been thingsw I've loved and things I've wanted and things where I've thought, screw it, it'll do. (I know, I know, that's really not the attitude.) 

Some of the things which I chose to make - partly because I left it too late to order them - have been somewhat the bane of my life these last couple of weeks and that has been partly because I want them to be perfect, and accepting that they don't have to be and most likely won't be is really hard. But I'm not a painter. I'm not an artist in any way really and I think reminding myself that some of the things I'm making are going to look a bit rustic and wonky is fine, partly because they are homemade, handmade, made with a love of love and effort even if not too much skill and actually that's the thing that makes them lovely.

Yes, I could have paid a lot of money for someone else to do things for me - and this is no disrespect to those who do - but these are things I chose to give a go, spend my time and energy on and that means even though they are imperfect, they are pretty special, too. It might just be something I'm telling myself to feel better, but I guess that's what I have to do at the moment, because even if I wanted to throw the whole idea out of the window or choose to go back and find someone to make them "properly" there's not the time or the budget to do it now, so it's make do or do without...

No comments:

Post a Comment