7 Sept 2026

One Thing I Hate In AirBnBs Is,

I think this pre-exists being a mum, but at the same time I think it was amplified by the fact that when we were away last week (or last week to when this is posted, because I'm writing it on the last night of the honeymoon having been drafting it in my head for the past half an hour...) in Scotland, in an AirBnB, our son was the most mobile he has ever been and he was expressing his distaste for being contained. He's very much used to having his bottle by himself and he kind of likes it that way, but he doesn't tend to have his bottles in a high chair and I'm trying to convince him to, partly because I think it helps him get into the habit of having a bottle and food, without having to do bottle in one place and food in another, but I digress... 

When my son was in the high chair, he would lob things off the tray table or anything that was close to him and he's got a pretty good arm...

So why does this make me hate AirBnBs? Well, that's overstating it, but I do get frustrated when AirBnBs have these Scandi style sofas with the legs and the bases that are six inches off of the floor, or other furniture where there is a large gap at the bottom, because when little man decides he wants to throw things, I have more places to look to find them and more places to look after the stay, before checking out, to make sure we haven't forgotten anything. 

It's not just AirBnBs, of course, but the last hotel we stayed in had divan beds and I still lost a knitting needle and had to go back and check all around the furniture, but I knew it was far less likely to have been under the furniture and missed rather than furniture which is easy to hoover underneath but also easy to push things under, especially when you're a few months old and you get your butt right under the furniture for fun.

We had an awesome honeymoon and really enjoyed the AirBnB we stayed in except for a few little personal notes like the frying pan was terrible which massacred the omelettes I tried to make for breakfast one morning, and the fact that the wood fired hot tub was frustrating because when I want to go in a hot tub, I want to go in it now, not in two to three hours when I've chopped wood, built a fire and finally got it going and loaded it up enough to keep it going whilst I'm in it. Oh, and midges but that's not the AirBnBs fault... They provided a travel cot so we didn't need to bring our own, brought a high chair so that we didn't have to think about that either, left some small supplies in the kitchen and even put roses in a vase, rose petals on the bed and a bottle of champagne to enjoy because it was our honeymoon, but even without the added extras, the place was just stunning, modern, quirky and yet well thought out, and they had cows.

I just would have loved to not have had my husband (Christ that's still fun to say) waiting in the car with the baby whilst I checked every room from lying on the floor to make sure we didn't leave anything too many hours north of our place to want to go back and get it... 

No comments:

Post a Comment