14 Aug 2023

Sometimes I Can't Decide What to Write About,

There are a few things I could have decided to write tonight, but I decided to write this, because writing about things which have made me happy make me happier, because it's something I always believe should be shared. That's not to say the debate was write something that made me happy or something that made me unhappy, but this was kind of my Tigger bounce, super happy moment of the week. 

A few years ago I decided to buy myself a really old typewriter, because it was the sort of thing that just made me happy, and whilst it still does, I tend not to write on my typewriters anymore because the majority of them hurt my wrists, and also there's a whole space issue that even in the 'new' house, I can't fix. In a similar way, I got really excited when my dad mentioned there was an old Singer sewing machine in a charity shop nearby and honestly, I just wanted to see it. I think they're really cool, partly because of how ornate they are, but also how simple, and they're such a powerful machine as well. I went to see it, and I just fell in love with it, so decided it needed to come home with me. I told myself it was fate, because I had just cleared a space that was the perfect size for the cabinet it came in, in the room that is, at least part time, my sewing room. I had to ask to collect it the next day because we couldn't have fit it in the car otherwise, but when I finally got it home - with a lot of assistance - I found a letter had been dislodged inside of it, and that made it feel even more like fate. 

So this letter, it was addressed to someone named Charlie and it was written in typical old lady hand writing that made me think of my Nana even though the name at the bottom was wrong and love was spelt wrong. It was strange because it was about the water, and I've just started paddle boarding and the lady said something - some of the letter read like coded nonsense - about telling the coastguard they would know who this Charlie was, because he was the little boy with the grin and the big gob. Meatloaf says two out of three isn't bad, and I have to agree...

Whether I can get the machine to run perfectly well is up for debate. Whether I just mend it to use the table side of it for my other sewing machines - because it's really well designed for being a sewing table - is more possible, but not preferable, but it is already something which has brought me immense joy, except for the moment where my mother asked whether I was planning on 'doing it up' in it's current colour, so just repairing the damage to the cabinet, or painting it with chalk paint, and I wondered how she could know me so little. I'm not against chalk paint on furniture, but I feel like some things are sacred and this is one of those things.

I'm currently on annual leave and keep planning to get on with some sewing projects, though I'm already a couple of days in and I have done literally none of them, so we'll see if it happens or  if sewing is just another of those hobbies I took up, got a little bit obsessed with and a little bit good at, and then got not even bored of, but just couldn't find the motivation or the time to keep up with. I'd love to say it doesn't happen that often, but that would be a total fib.

No comments:

Post a Comment