4 Feb 2013

Geekish Nerds and Why I Love the Kindle

Ever since I was a child, able to read, I've pretty much always carried a book with me, except for those early teenage years where you always reject the things of childhood and don't really know what to do with yourself, but you have to do something to stop being seen as that infant. 

Now, because of this and a heck of a lot of other factors, such as the fact that I act on curiosity and find out the answers to the questions I'm asking myself, oh, and the fact that Algebra has always made a lot of sense to me, I always earned myself the label of 'geek' or 'nerd' - I'm talking about the days when this was supposedly an insult, and not a cool thing to have emblazoned on the chest of your jumper.

The silly thing about this is, that most of the time that I'm reading, I've got another book next to me, or I'm screaming for my mum, because I either can't figure out what a word says - the amount of time it took me to learn the word cushion is somewhat embarrassing - although that only applies to the Anglicised versions of Greek words these days (but how many people would know that you say Iannis as 'Yan-is'?) or because I can read the word perfectly fine, but I haven't got the first clue as to what it means. The latest example of that was plutocracy. I knew that I should have known what it meant, but I couldn't remember for the life of me, stupid for a couple of reasons 1. I studied British and American Politics and 2. Arguably, Britain is still a plutocracy. For those who are equally confused, it means a society where power is in the hands of the wealthy. 

Anyway, this is one of the reasons why I love having a Kindle so much - because I'm really lazy. I just had to run up the stairs in my house to get the dictionary, in order to find the meaning of the word plutocracy. By the time that I get back to my book, I'll be quite out of the rhythm of reading it that I had got into, but with the Kindle I can simply hover on a word and it explains it to me instantly. Yes, I am that lazy.

It is also my intention that this month I will beat my current record for amount of posts in a month, which I believe is currently August last year and ten posts. Wish me luck?

No comments:

Post a Comment