3 Jan 2014

The Grand Days of Getting Old(er),

I know that things change as you get older; the priorities you had when you were a child disappear as you become a teenager, and then eventually that gives way to less and less mild forms of adulthood, but recently, I've been noticing it a lot. 

In the place of happiness from making a mess and eating a disproportionate amount of chocolate to what would be deemed healthy is now the joy that comes from cooking something which is more than just edible, or the sense of calm that comes from your house being clean as New Years passes. I can't explain how good it felt that when midnight came and went, much as it ever does when it's not celebrated by fireworks, I knew that the bathrooms had been drowned in the appropriate amount of bleach, the sofa had been hoovered and the kitchen sink had been scrubbed until it was almost the same colour as when it was in the show room (I will point out that that day was some time around twelve years ago). I'm even happier now that my room is properly clean thanks to my new hoover. 

The weird thing is, whilst I was still living at home, my mother had to withhold my pocket money in order to get me to do anything which resembled cleaning - except for rinsing my plate before putting it into the dishwasher, but I don't really count that. I'm now at the point where I can't focus on anything else unless something at least looks clean - well, the kitchen and the bathrooms anyway. My room doesn't get done unless someone is making me do it, or I have an assignment due. 

Pair all of that with the knitting I've been doing recently, I am honestly turning 90 on my next birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment