22 Jan 2014

Kill It With Kindness,

One of the most aggravating things to me is when people are needlessly rude or just take the arse-y route to get to somewhere. 

It happened last week with the delivery of new mattresses to our house - the delivery men were rude to my housemate because her phone wasn't working properly and they couldn't get in touch with her - and it happened to me today with someone on eBay, because I asked them if it would be alright if I had something delivered by courier, rather than having my friend need a four hour round trip in the car to go get it. 

Thing is, I work in retail, and I know that it's frustrating when you can't get in touch with people about an order, and I know that people asking questions can be somewhat frustrating, but there's a line. There is no need to be a total ass when I'm asking a simple question!! 

So, okay, maybe this guy doesn't want the hassle of arranging the courier, but the message I got back from him wasn't I don't mind if you use a courier, but with regard to this sale, it is your responsibility to arrange it, this was literally - do what you want as long as I get my money. I already knew that was his attitude, but there's no need to actually say it. I think some people don't realise that messages on eBay are exactly like interactions with customers face to face. You leave an impression on the customer and if it comes to the point where you get feedback from the customer, they are going to tell you what they think! 

I always remember to mention it when people combine feedback for me, or there was a point when someone said it was possible for me to have something collected instead of couriered. It was much simpler, and I was grateful. My brother even got a Christmas card from a seller once - with his item, so it wasn't strange... 

I've recently had a few problems with something I was purchasing on eBay and the person is going to know about it in their feedback, and if I end up buying this, I'm going to tell him what I think of his communication. 

Maybe I just need to get out of London for a bit. It makes me stroppier.

No comments:

Post a Comment