29 Dec 2016

Get Your Nerd On,

Everybody has their nerd thing. I hate calling it that since the advent of this ridiculous fashion of wearing something, whether it be t-shirt, hoodie or baseball cap, emblazoned with the word, but that is probably more to do with it now being a trend for the types of kids who used to use it as a word to victimise kids like me. I have no time for the trend in all honesty. 

That being said, everybody has their little thing. 

Now, yes, it is true I am a bit of a crazy when it comes to my writing because, heck, I love it, but it is not my nerd thing. My nerd thing, or my current one at least, is Sherlock Holmes. 

One of my friends used to smoke tobacco that he got from the Baker Street museum in a pipe and I loved it. I have loved both Robert Downie Junior's portrayal of my idol in the recent films and also the loving depiction of Sherlock at the end of his days in the more recent film. Incidentally if you haven't yet seen it, watch that one because it is immaculate in so many ways. The acting, just, oh, I can't even get into this right now - I need to sleep at some point tonight...

Well, anyway, it may seem as though I have left out an oh so familiar recent depiction, however I would like to assure you that I most definitely have not and I am just getting to it. 

Recently, I finished reading A Study in Scarlet for the first time. Now, as a Sherlock Holmes fan this seems like a very strange thing, but the problem was that also being a bit of a book nerd I wanted to find the right volumes before I bought them, committed to them and read them, but then I found the entire collection in one paperback volume for about £4 in a charity shop in Balham. I decided that would do, at least for now. 

Having read A Study in Scarlet, and also keeping in mind that New Year's Day will grace us with a new episode (I'm already on the edge of my seat!) I started watching the BBC series with Benedict Cumberbatch again and, well, I fell in love again as I saw that the BBC had done a, oh, here's that word again, immaculate job of transporting that amazing first story aboard the TARDIS and bringing it forward in time to the modern era. It gives it so much life and I adored it. 

It got better when there was the reference to, and I'm not so sure that this was intentional, but I both think and hope so, Alan Turing and the story behind The Imitation Game AKA The  Coventry conundrum. 

If I could take two weeks off of work and just power through the rest of the books, believe me, I would. 

Catch you later....

No comments:

Post a Comment