4 Sept 2018

You Won't Like Me When I'm Angsty,

I'm suddenly hyper aware of how I sometimes write these things in such a rush, and on a computer that doesn't have Grammarly watching for mistakes over my shoulder and it's starting to bother me...

When I get angsty, or passionate or generally riled up about something, punctuation gets missed, spelling is off, and unfortunately I commit the cardinal sin of not closing brackets around separate clauses. I know, it's really triggered. It's horrendous. My only excuse is that I don't realise when I'm doing it!!

Tonight I read back over the post on here that has been read the most times, and for one thing, I would like to apologise most sincerely for all of the errors, but for another, I recognised a passion within myself that is sometimes absent of late. It was both wonderful and heartbreaking to see because the girl that wrote that looks a lot stronger than the girl in the mirror today and that's a very hard reality to face, 

But then I have to remind myself of the conversation that I had with a work colleague today about Parkrun. Some people might want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, but I want to drag the entire world out of bed and to their local parks for 9am on a Saturday morning and get them to walk, jog or run, even if they don't do the full 5k.

Running is amazing exercise, is great for your mental health and the fresh air is good for you, too. You don't have to love running, you don't even have to like it, you can like seeing the same people week after week, watching them and yourself improve, seeing the community that has been created by some really amazing people. You could tail walk, or be the lead bike, or the photographer and help other people strive to achieve their goal, whether it be to run an ultra marathon or just trim a couple of inches off of their waist line. 

You can bring dogs and kids, even in pushchairs. People of all ages are welcomed and people will support you. Everyone had to find their starting line. It's getting people into parks too, which I hope makes people see the problem that litter causes and makes them clean up after themselves or others, but also, using that green space is a way of protecting it. Okay, having a few hundred runners thundering over sections of grass week on week might not be great for individual blades of grass, but we know that land is at a premium, so it's not too hard to believe parks could be downsized or removed entirely if they are seen to be unused. 

Basically, ParkRun is a healthy, free, family-friendly, fun experience and I can't really see any downside except perhaps the early alarm clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment