25 Nov 2012

In a Palace That Only We Know,

The mind is a strange place. It is a palace to the arts and whatever we choose to think within it. It is the seat of our power as human beings, and it is a palace which only we can be familiar with the details of. 

Soooo, I know I haven't posted anything on here recently about how life is going, and that's because I have actually been pretty busy trying to sort my life out!!

As I posted in August, Fairies was finished and edited for the Kindle edition and was given a new ending which I think is the biggest improvement. There were a few minor changes with typos, missing words and the like, but it was almos
t there, so it only took a few hours to find the magic and get it to be where I wanted it to be.

Due to this edit, I made the decision to make the paperback unavailable until such time as I have a minute to be able to reformat the files and put the new edition into print. Sorry about this for all those who don't own a Kindle, but the exciting news is that once it is redone it will be on both Amazon.com and .co.uk as well as across the European sites. The great thing about that is that it won't be as expensive. Great news, right?

On to the next piece of awesomeness. The first time I wrote for NaNoWriMo, I got about half way through before life intervened. Nine months after starting the competition, the first novel I had ever completely found it's closing words. Pretty much a dramatic monologue of the life of a very unlucky teenage girl, Insanity Breaks had become my baby, my outlet and something I wasn't ready to share with the world.

I have said this before and will say it again, I am nothing like Grace. I'm not, but a lot of me went into that novel, and I'm proud to finally say that it's self published along side Fairies. It took a heck of an edit, which was pretty brutal to be honest, probably why I had been putting it off for so long, but yes, it's done.

NaNo 2012 brought about trials of it's own and although I never actually got the 10k day I wanted, I did manage quite a few dars banking 5/6/7k which meant that I pulled up to the finish line of 50k on the morning of 20/11/2012, a comfortable ten days and fourteen hours before the deadline. There were tears, tantrums and trauma as usual, a fantastical trip back to see my homepeople at NaNoManchester and plot twists a plenty that left me surprised with the main character Iris. I went from loving her to hating her to admiring her and loving her all over again several times a day. Yours, is probably something I will have to back burner for a while before editing, because there's a lot of mental taxation involved whenever you try and write something which jumps back and forward through time about as many times as a Delorian, so editing may be a bit of a pain in the butt cheeks.

So, what's next on the agenda?

Keep writing, of course. Keep writing, keep dreaming and keep believing that I can do this. I can find the words I want to write, my ideas can animate a page and I can keep focused, keep driven and maybe one day live the dream.

I posted that onto the writer page to update everyone on Facebook as to what I've been up to recently. I know a lot of you are probably well aware of the fact that I finished NaNoWriMo within 20 days this year, which was pretty impressive. Last night I sent the first draft of what I wrote to the one person I trust to assess the story line without looking into the formatting, the grammar and the wording -too much- which is pretty great. Still pretty friggin' scary though.
 
There are a few things I am going to get working on, but since nothing puts the 'prod' in 'productivity' for me like NaNoWriMo, progress will most probably be slow, but steady. I enjoy the chance to let my characters grow, to let scenes, ideas and situations develop within my mind until I can write about them with the kind of clarity which actually conveys the meaning I wanted to.
 
 
First off though, I need to sort my life out. 
 
Charlie x 
 
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment