24 Jul 2014

Life's Inconveniences,

The last few months have taught me that life can be, at it's best, terrifically inconvenient. It's inconvenient that floppy disk drives have gone so far out of fashion, because I would just love to be able to type away on my Fontwriter and then be able to click save instead of manically printing everything, or losing it. It's inconvenient that the keyboard I have down here does nothing short of sucking, and it's pretty majorly inconvenient that the makers of Fifty Shades of Grey didn't cast Benedict Cumberbatch, because I would have paid to see that movie. To be perfectly honest, I'm still not sure how I feel about them making a movie about that, because the book was awful enough, but at least it got people reading. Speaking of which,...

I need to have a little bit of a vent here, and it's not aimed at one person in particular, because a few people have done this.

Throughout a lot of my friends and family, there has always been support for my writing, and my career aspirations, even before I self-published any of my work - that was just a wake up call about how serious I could be with it. Now that support has been fantastic, because people have bought the book or downloaded it as a Kindle file, etc and I really appreciate it, even when those downloads happened during the free promotions which I set up through KDP. So here's the thing, I don't care if people are downloading the files through Amazon when it's free, I wouldn't put them on there if I did, but when I get, 'Oh, can you just email it to me?' I get a little bit pissed off. I know people are still talking about the financial struggle, and I know that I haven't put it on the free promotion for a while, but here's the thing:

If I just email it to you, it means nothing. One of the reasons I use the free promotion is to get my writing out there because I get reports on how well it fares. With things like emails, that doesn't happen. So whilst I appreciate you reading my work, please don't ask me to email the files to you. Either pay the £1.53 that the download costs or hound me to stick one of the promotions on. I would genuinely prefer that.

By the way, if you have a spare couple of minutes, I would appreciate it if you wrote a review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment