15 Jan 2015

And After Less Than Two Hours of Not Being Connected to the Internet, Charlie Lost a Little Bit More of Her Mind,

If I'm not careful, the titles for these are going to end up being longer than the posts...

Anyway, before my power line adaptors forgot what their role in life is, I was going to call this post Just Because You Have a Voice Box, Doesn't Mean Your Voice Has To Stay In It's Box. As an ex-Northerner, I'm a little bit 'over friendly' for London, and it scares some Southerners shitless - I'm not even kidding. Talking on the Tube is pretty much banned unless you are reasonably intimately acquainted with the person that you're having the conversation with. Anyone, well, anyone Northern would think you were discussing the contents of your knicker drawer if they saw the look on some people's faces.

Point is, as often happens, I struck up a lovely conversation with someone, from something which many would see as insignificant - A typewriter on a notebook. Now, going past the philosophical garbage that we could spout in relation to The Fault in Our Stars, and how the typewriter was not a real typewriter... Basically we got talking about typewriters, novelly things, NaNoWriMo and the busy-ness of London living, though not necessarily in that order. It kind of got me thinking that people don't really connect enough.

So here is what I mean by that:

I don't mean that we don't have enough of a connection to the people we meet, because I know a lot of people who will add you on Facebook because you happened to go to the same university, at the same time, even though you have probably NEVER and probably WILL NEVER actually come across that person and have anything like a meaningful conversation!!!! (I was trying not to rant, honestly, it just didn't work) however there are other people whose lives we sort of merrily skip in and out of very quickly without thinking bugger social convention, I'm going to give this person a conversational cuddle, and also, if they ask for my advice or ask me a question about something I possibly know something about, I'm going to answer it, instead of just being an ignorant mug and attempting to be an island from everyone that I don't already know. If that is you, you're attitude stinks - no offence. Okay, maybe a little offence.

The fact is, we all have things that we are the absolute tits at, and other things which make us look and feel like an absolute tit, and whilst we could sit and have a moan about how that sucks and we wish we could be better at whatever it is that makes us look like a giant tit, we could be slightly pro-active and find someone to help us get better - EVEN IF THAT PERSON IS OUTSIDE OF OUR LITTLE SOCIAL CIRCLE - or accept that we suck at it, but we're awesome at something else, and celebrate our own awesome alongside other people's awesome. Like drinking great champagne to celebrate something, and also celebrating that the people that made said champagne really knew how to bottle the stars.

I've always wanted everything I write to fit together in a straight sort of way, almost like checking back in with some of the older characters later on in their life, but also to see that the world is not actually as big as we think it is - I ran into my cousin in Kings Cross once when I didn't even know she was in London for God's sake! - so rather than making our own world's smaller with this idea that the world is too big for us to do something amazing in it, just have a conversation with someone else and maybe make their day a bit better, if someone says they're struggling with something you can do, just help them. This world can be bad enough on it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment