27 Jan 2018

I Mean, This is Crazy, But Whatever,

If you have ever heard of Heath Ledger, you have most likely heard of something called 'Method Acting'. For those of you who haven't, the basic principles of it are that you get into character by living out parts of that character's personality, or their life story, to get a feel for who they are and be able to be a more authentic version of that character. 

The practice has received criticism, as everything does, because of the situations which actors who practice this method can place themselves into. Considering that people are thinking that eating washing pods is a thing to do, I now find this criticism even more questionable than I used to, but then again I realise that there are people in this world that I will never understand, and whilst that sometimes worries me because I would rather avoid churning out different versions of the same character constantly, I think that writing a novel where the main character died from eating a clothes washing tablet or something similar is not something really high on my bucket list. 

If you're wondering where I'm going with this, don't worry, I'm getting there... 

There have been times where I have wanted to sit and write, but have felt like there is such a disconnect between the character I'm writing about and myself that I'm almost certain that the character is just wrong. Everything about them. Suddenly, I cannot but an apostrophe right (I was going to say comma there, but I litter commas everywhere and I'm never quite sure that they are right,). 

I can't successfully write about someone being adventurous and strong when I haven't even bothered to change out of my PJs, but in a way, it goes deeper than that. Clothing and make up or whatever might seem like a superficial way to get "into character" so to speak, but I honestly find it helpful sometimes. I have sat around in my heels before now (which is strange because I rarely wear shoes in the house) because it suits the character I'm writing about. Before you think it (or, in case you were thinking it) no, I do not have a full costume change between different characters in order to make sure that I'm really "in character" for each person that's speaking. 

Anyway, yes, that's a strange little look into the way my head works when I'm writing. I think I possibly was using writing this as a way not to work on the novel though. Great. 

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment