29 Jun 2023

Today Has Sucked, Too,

Without trying to sound like a moaning Minnie, I have written a few things recently about how things keep going wrong, but I've also not posted all of them because it can feel like I'm being overly self-indulgent, however today has been one of those days where what has gone wrong has been more mildly annoying than some of the things over the last few weeks.

I've had a hell of a lot on at work these last few weeks and what I really needed today was some time out, being a water baby and going for a paddle on a paddle board. I was supposed to be driving to Wales to join an activity session which was half paddle board lesson and half litter pick, so having fun, doing something somewhat daft, but also doing something cool in terms of environment clean up. Honestly, from the second I read about it, it seemed very much something I would love and something I really wanted to be involved in. Last week it was cancelled the morning of the session, then this week, I was in the car on the way to the motorway and got a call to say the session was again cancelled although this time they were able to share that it was due to one of the instructors being ill and there not being enough instructors to go with the group, so I had to turn around and not go. The good thing is that it gave me time to get a bulb changed on my car's headlights, then go to Lidl to try and get a life jacket for Chai, so that when I get to the stage I'm not knocking the board over a lot (I don't know how quickly that will happen) Chai can come with me, and she can have a go at swimming, but without the risk that she is going to panic and not be able to swim. They weren't in yet, but I was able to get a shorty wetsuit and a camp shower, then went to Aldi and got a changing coat, so as much as it was not a good day for getting the thing I wanted to do done, it did mean that I got a few other things crossed off of my to do list. 

I'm disappointed because as much as I panic around water - particularly very deep water - I have a really good buoyancy aid and I can actually swim. Once I'm in the water I stop panicking and become quite calm, and it's something that just makes me feel better. I am really excited about eventually getting to go paddle boarding, but it just seems like it won't be any time soon which really disappoints me. I am glad that I have most of the things I need for being able to go by myself, once I have gained a bit of confidence and once I have got a license, but I could still have done without the session being cancelled today. I'm sick of taking time off of work and not getting to do the thing I have taken the time off of work for.

No comments:

Post a Comment