17 Oct 2023

Before I Sound Too Much Like a Self-Help Guide,

I read a thing on Twitter - and that sentence never really ends well these days, does it? - about a Muller corner and honestly, I didn't really understand it, and wasn't quite intrigued enough to look it up, but it did get me thinking about adverts that are winding me up recently. 

One of them is a kid's toy that I'm getting annoyed about the way that it's being advertised, but it's a hundred percent not my issue, so I'm not even going to get into it, but the other is for Mayonnaise. I can't remember which of the big H brands it is that's made this advert but it is winding me up to a point that I want to throw things at the telly when it comes on.

There's a song that goes with it and there are images of an empty fridge and it's all about how someone turned nothing into something with the addition of mayonnaise and honestly, with the state of the world being what it is at the moment, the number of people having to use food banks and everything like that, and the soaring cost of food prices generally that most people are looking at ways to save money (and one of the quick and easy ways to do that is swap from condiments that cost upwards of three pounds per jar to the store brand ones you can get for around sixty five pence) that it genuinely pains me to see this particular brand talking about making meals out of nothing with mayonnaise. There are people who genuinely have NOTHING in the fridge and are wondering where their next meal is coming from and sadly the number of those people seems to be ever increasing, and you want to make a silly song about how you made something with mayonnaise? I realise, because I am one of those people, that do look in the fridge and think, urgh, I've got nothing in, because there is nothing quick and there is nothing easy and there is nothing I want but we've got far from nothing. The images of the empty fridge which then magic up food because there's a jar of mayo in the door is just too stark of an image for me and I can't get past my hate of it.

And there are other things they could have done with the same concept. Given that it could be quite catchy - the ear worm of the song unfortunately haunts me when I accidentally think of it, like the Triple Dent gum (or whatever it is called) from Inside Out - they could make an advert that's like, add mayo to make it a meal, or make a song out of leftover recipes like how to make chicken mayo pasta, or something else, without this image of the empty fridge which then produces some good looking dinners. I realise I'm likely being over sensitive about it, but HOLY HELL IT WINDS ME UP!! 

This interruption to your regularly scheduled Preptober blog was brought to you by fury and derision. Normal service will resume tomorrow. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment