20 Nov 2023

What Comes Next,

My last blog was about what is happening with NaNoWriMo at the moment, and whilst I am hoping that the efforts of the board and others are successful in recovering the organisation enough for it to weather this storm, there's something uncomfortable about interacting with the organisation at the moment, even just to record my word count. I've been keeping all of my writing activities off site, which is only in part because there is no word processor on the main NaNo site.

I had been entering a word count each day that is the lowest daily word count for the site I'm using to write (4 The Words) as my word count for NaNo for the day, but I've been writing a lot more than that and I just don't know how to bring myself to keep a track of my word count through NaNo, because it feels like continuing to associate with an organisation I just can't bring myself to agree with.

It's at a stage where I have been involved in more NaNoWriMos than I haven't (14/25) and I've done it for nearly half of my life, and honestly I don't think I would know what to do with my November without it, but I also know that it's not the same without the community that we have, because all of these writers doing the same thing at the same time is a kind of support that you don't tend to get elsewhere. Although Round of Words in 80 Days and other supportive projects exist, they're not the same, and I just don't feel the same way about them as I do about NaNo, so this whole thing feels like a waiting game to see what comes out of the organisation, or if something else steps in to take over. Other than that, I'll stick to 4 The Words, and hopefully be able to get to the stage where I can finally crack through drafts of a few novels that have been sitting in my head for years. 

So I guess the answer to the question of what comes next doesn't really have an answer just yet, and I don't know when it will have and that's a really nerve wracking position to be in, but I guess that that's where we (WriMos) all are right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment