15 Sept 2026

When Do We Grow Out of IKEA Furniture,

I've spent too many days not writing so I'm trying to write this from my phone because I can't be bothered going downstairs to grab my laptop. If this damn app closes one more time though I might find the motivation that I need to go...

I know that IKEA is like marmite for a lot of people, but personally, I love the place, and the work they're doing at the moment to redesign their furniture to taken apart and moved instead of being kind of one and done is awesome.

There are a lot of people in the world who will look down on IKEA furniture, and I kind of get it, if you own a certain type of home, because if you get something like a cottage with a lot of character or a Victorian or other period property with a lot of period features, and you go and stick a whole pile of flat pack furniture in it, it's going to look kind of silly, but I've genuinely heard people talk about IKEA as though it's the furniture or when you're a student (which it works as) or in your 20s (which it is, because you can buy it, get it delivered or even take small items on the tube, and yes I have seen that) but it's almost as though when you're in your thirties you should have "grown out of" IKEA furniture and be looking at something "proper" which I think is pretty mad.

There are some things I would be kind of reluctant to buy from IKEA. I bought a sofa bed from them when I had a studio flat in London and I was gutted to get rid of it, but managed to sell it on to someone else in a similar position. I think if I tried to sleep on it in my 30s, especially for any length of time, I would be really struggling. I'm not completely in love with their sofas in general, but that might be because I'm fussy about sofas. I have short legs so need a low ish seat and for it to be a short ish seat, too, as super deep seats mean no back support for me, but I want quite a high back for the support and it means just having a cushion behind me to "solve" the seat depth issue doesn't really work. I also might buy a bed frame from IKEA (maybe) but I wouldn't buy a mattress from IKEA.

I think I'd be more likely to have "grown out of" IKEA because I can't manage putting the flat pack together myself anymore - because I do it myself as a point of pride - rather than going off of a lot of products. Had we not already got our son's cot when we had him, we would have been getting it from IKEA because most of their furniture just makes sense, and I don't think I would ever get a kitchen from anywhere else.

Any hey, look at that, I wrote a blog that wasn't about parenting or the wedding. Yay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment