25 Sept 2013

Greece 2013.2,

This is just getting written as and when I have time, and when we're somewhere that we can get wifi, which is usually some sort of pool or beach bar, or the tavernas where we're having our dinner. As such, the chronology has already gone out of the window. 

Thing is, I get over excited and want to include things, or I'll only remember things when I've already finished writing something about that day, so from here on out accept that it will be a jumbled mash up of all the days. 

As with most places in Greece, there are cats running around everywhere, because most of them are strays which are fed at the restaurants by tourists with leftovers. There is a lovely one who obviously thinks of the apartments we are in as his territory, and I've given him the nickname of George, because he's a curious little bugger. 

On the day that we arrived, he jumped onto my balcony and stood outside the screen like he was waiting to be let in. He's beautiful, and I'll be uploading a photo of him to the Facebook page just as soon as I get home. He has this wonderful habit of getting under my feet when I'm trying to get in the front door, this morning he was purring outside of it because I got up late and yesterday, when I was leaving the apartment with lots of things in my hands, he ran around the door before I could shut it, but he didn't try to jump onto my bed. Instead he just wandered around under it and was very well behaved. After the wild life that got into my dad's bed, I'm tempted to let him stay, although I'm not sure that even George loves me enough to protect me from something like that!

I've heard of horror movie titles like It Came From Under the Sink and stupid things like that, but this was It Came From the End of My Bed and Bit Me on the Ass. Okay, Dad says leg, but only just. 

Bugs in Greece tend to be a lot bigger than those back home, and I know exactly what this thing was, but quite frankly I do not need to see the photo of it before it went down the toilet. Besides, with my imagination the description of it as a six inch long centipede with a mouth at both ends is quite enough to stop me sleeping thank you! Thankfully we spent today on the beach, and I'm pretty sure I probably fell asleep on my sun bed at least one. 

There's a little beach about ten minutes walk from Stoupa Town Beach called Kalogria Beach. It's really beautiful and is fed by spring water from the mountains, which is really cold. There's also, on the very right hand side of the beach, a lovely plunge pool, that is colder than a witch's tit. I managed to get in up to just above my waist before deciding that was plenty enough for me, but it does make the sea feel a few degrees warmer afterwards which is a welcome reward from such an endeavour. The water around these parts is so clear as well that you can see right to the bottom even when it's more than a few feet deep. Nothing like Blackpool at all. :)

This is what I mean about the chronology being screwed - I'm jumping back a day now to tell you about the ancient city site of Messini which lies in a bowl valley under Mount Ithomi.

Ancient Messini is the biggest archeological site in Greece and I believe it is the longest running which is still currently being dug. After 25 years they have uncovered a Roman villa, a theatre, the baths, a stadium and a gymnasium. And you can walk around all of it. If you're a student in the EU it is free, if you're a non-EU student, under 18 or over 65 the price is 3euros and everyone else is 5euros. It's really not much to be able to go in and see all that they've unearthed. It's really worth a look if you're in the area. :P Admittedly our tour guide was more than a touch irritating. 

Anyway, I'm having my once a year foodie festival. Mediterranean food is definitely my favourite. 

Kalinicht guys,

No comments:

Post a Comment