8 Feb 2014

One Bad Hit,


I wasn't planning on writing another one of these before I went away, but sometimes needs must. 

Have you ever been addicted to something? I'm not meaning anything overly serious at the moment like cigarettes or prescription drugs, but I guess that the same theory could apply. What I'm referring to at the moment is, quite simply, TV series and books. 

I've always had a massive thing about crime solving novels and television series - the more the better. I have read a couple of Lee Child's books and other authors as well, but the one which really had me hooked was Kathy Reiches. I loved the way that Temperance Brennan and Andrew Ryan were with each other, I loved the action, the drama and the forensics, just not so much of the Quebecois French and how Tempe nearly dies at the end of almost every book, but then Devil Bones came out, and I wondered who on Earth Reiches was writing about, because it certainly wasn't my much beloved Tempe. Her personality was too different and I seriously suspected - and still do - that it was a ghost writer, and from then, I haven't picked up a book by Kathy Reiches. 

In much the same way, I took to the TV series 'Bones' like a fish to water - it was everything I had wanted to see from that series, because Emily Deschanel and David Borenaz are - in my books - both amazing actors as well as winners in the genetic lottery. Even though they never really had much luck with their serial killers due to National Holidays interrupting the scheduling and other stupid things like that, I loved the whole damn thing, and the Christopher Poulant serial was really gearing up for something amazing. I watched every episode chanting (well, in my head) BRING BACK THE ZAC! 

(Spoiler Alert if you haven't seen series 9 yet!)

Then the episode happened...and guess what? Most traumatically - no Zac! Absolutely no Zac. Not even a hint of Zac, or a quick defer decision to Zac, whom I assume is still locked away in a looney bin for saying he stabbed a guy to stay out of big boy time out. 

What was worse was that after all this genius has done, the ending is he gets shot. By Booth. 

If it had been Brennan to pull the trigger, then it might have been a little more interesting, but it wasn't. It was just your run of the mill Agent Booth take down. I mean, why? 

Zac has already been brought back in on a case before, and aside from his naivety, he was always, arguably, on his way to being Dr Brennan's equal. He and Vincent Nigel Murray have got to be my favourite of the squinterns, and with VNM dead, the obvious consultation point would have been Zac. 

I know I don't know much about the American legal system, but it seems they make deals to reduce sentences for help in more dangerous cases, so why couldn't that happen for the lovely Zac, he help to outsmart the evil dictator genius, overthrow him, beat him at his own game and then Brennan shoot him. That would have been an amazing episode, and then Zac could have gone back to working on the double Doctorate...

That episode has left me with little interest in the series now. It's just a shame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment