17 Feb 2014

Pisa & Lucca

I'm going to write a couple of these to catch up with everything that's been going on... 


I know that I'm a bit of a lucky girl sometimes, but the last week has been something else. This time last week, I could barely sleep because I was getting ready to fly to Pisa the next day. 

Now, I'm not normally an overly nervous flyer, but this was the first time I was flying anywhere without my parents - yeah, I know that's pretty sad. Everything was going fine though, until the airline decided that the plane was too full of other people's hand luggage to let my roller bag in the cabin, so it had to be checked into the hold. 

My biggest issue is that when something deviates from the plan, I get a little bit freaked out, and don't know how to cope. Thankfully the flight was only an hour and forty five minutes, and nothing got damaged. 

Our hotel was less than a minutes walk to the Piazza del Duomo, and the Leaning Tower itself - we could even see part of the Tower from the hotel room!

We had been told before we even went out there - by a multitude of people - that Pisa itself doesn't really have that much to offer, but a little ways down the train tracks is a lovely place called Lucca, and it's only a couple of euros to get there and back. 

Between Lucca and Pisa is this beautiful stretch of Italian countryside with a beautiful aqueduct and a lot of other pretty buildings, but Lucca itself is definitely the main event. It's a little town that is surrounded by a large medieval wall, and the entrances are all cobbled steps through tunnels in the wall. Although they're beautiful, trying to get up them in heeled boots isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world. 

One of my favourite things about Italy is the food. The pizza was amazing, the gnochi was beautiful and the gelato was mind blowing - and not in a brain freeze kind of a way. 

On the day we were flying home we also got to climb the tower - which was a very strange experience - and explore the rest of the Piazza del Duomo. The whole place is beautiful. There may not be that much there, but Pisa is definitely worth a bit of a look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment