5 Apr 2017

When I think About,

One of the things that I find scary in life, other than spiders and heights, is publishing things. 

Whether it be blogs or novels, publishing is terrifying because it exposes parts of you that you may not want to have exposed. Although it can often seem like these things are just words on paper or a screen, my blogs have a lot of my emotion in them, or they come from a place where I'm being emotional and they are a way of me working through it. There are some that I write up do then decide I can't post because they are, ultimately, too exposing. They make me feel too vulnerable.


Self publishing, when I first did it, was a nightmare, but I s it as a hurdle that I just had to get over. I couldn't and wouldn't fail was how I saw it, but now that it's easier to do, well, less process heavy, I think the reason that I can't bring myself to do it is less because of finishing things and editing them than because of how raw it can leave you feeling. 

Thing is, ANYONE can read it, ANYONE can write an Amazon review or say whatever they want on whatever platform. The most difficult bit of that can sometimes be that you're going to want to read it, and sometimes that is really difficult. 

I have always been lucky to be surrounded by a large among of amazing people who are happy to read over things for me, and they have often been fantastic at spotting mistakes and plot holes that I wouldn't have seen myself. Self publishing is probably always going to be a minefield of mistakes though, because none of us are going through this with a professional editors perspective, though maybe that's not such a bad thing. 

The thing about editors is that, as much as they are very useful and very intelligent people, they can also be pretty brutal, and I think that you have to be a certain level of prepared for that and I'm not overly sure that I am there just yet. Maybe one day, hey?

Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment