4 Nov 2013

11814, and a Magical Weekend, ~

I meant to write this on Saturday night, but we were in the hotel room furthest from the router, meaning that it only worked if I sat at the foot of the bed, and even then it was kind of slow. 

Saying that, as the title suggests, it was magical.

I've mentioned before that I've been having health problems recently, and with this week being reading week, I wanted to just get out of London for a little bit, so instead of disappearing back to Manchester for a week, or something similar, we decided to go to a place called Hook instead, stay in a hotel for the night and then just do some walking in the country for the next day. Bit of fresh air and all that. 

Anyway, I'm doing that thing where I get ahead of myself. 

Friday was one of the most awesome days in the history of my life, because by 7 o'clock in the evening, I had done it! I REACHED 10K ON THE FIRST DAY!! For a NaNoGeek, that is a pretty magical moment, and I rewarded myself with the obvious - beer and chocolate. :) Oh, and a big shop in Asda that will more than likely last me until the end of NaNo. :) 

Saturday was then a pretty odd, mismatched day, but we eventually got on the road at about half five, and we were there in less than an hour and a half. I'm very lucky to have a ridiculously understanding boyfriend, because as I sat for probably just longer than an hour completing a word count for Day 2, he didn't complain once and just sat watching the TV. 

So then yesterday we went to a lovely place called Odiham Castle which was built in the 13th century - obviously it's a ruin, but it's absolutely beautiful, and the walk down the river to get there was nothing to turn your nose up at either. We then had a little wander down to the village to see what was there - to be honest, there wasn't that much, but it was a pretty sort of place. Since I wasn't really ready to come back to the city just yet, Ben gave me a choice - we can go to Birdworld on the way back (I don't think either of us considered this as a serious option) or Stonehenge is forty minutes in the other direction. 

People don't always get this, but I'm from the North. As much as I have seen some of the different things which the North has to offer, most of my travelling has been London, or places which are out of this country. Or Scarborough. The reason why I am stating this is because people, Ben included, are always shocked when I haven't been to certain Southern Landmarks or towns. Until a couple of weekends ago, I'd never been to Brighton. Until this weekend, I had never seen Stonehenge which was why I got so over excited about it - and why I was glad that the Travelling Panda had found her way, with absolutely and totally no help from me what so ever, okay, maybe a little :P, into my weekend bag to come with us. Guess what? I've still never been to Thorpe Park - BECAUSE I'M NORTHERN! We have our own theme parks - and we're hard as nails. The only park scarier than ours is either Chernobyl or Snake Pass (the road you take to get to Alton Towers. On a coach, it's a bit scary...) 

Anyway, after a reasonable amount of walking yesterday, all the fresh air, and the joys of my lungs not seeming very happy about our return to London, all I wanted to do last night was watch Downton Abbey and drag my butt to be, so yes, I'm still on 11418 words, but I'm going to get on with doing some more today. 

Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment