21 Jan 2024

Is It Still A Sleepover If You Get No Sleep?,

You would think after the last couple of years that I would be used to not getting a lot of sleep when doing Scout camps, but hey, it's not something I apparently am getting used to.

I went into the sleepover last night already feeling tired, because I hadn't slept properly on Friday night after a busy day and then had a busy Saturday before it all started. 

We had planned to do the first sleepover for the pack (or at least the first in living memory) before Christmas and it be super Christmas-y themed, but I'm actually really glad that we didn't. For one thing, the run up to Christmas is always a busy period, and trying to fit something like a sleepover in can be absurdly difficult, but the more important reason to me is that not having Christmas to 'address' meant that we were pretty wide open for plans. 

Sometimes being completely wide open with plans makes me slightly panic because it feels like there's so much to choose from and I just can't decide, but not feeling like we're required to stick to something like Easter, Christmas or something like that gave us this brilliant opportunity to throw a bit of a mad combination together where the Cubs were practising skills that they have learnt this year, or just notch off a few different bits of Challenge badges or other badges that they have missed.

Some of it is little things, like getting a couple of them to make a cup of tea for a leader to wash their pots up and others are bigger and more abstract like leading a team, and realising it's not about just yelling at other people and stamping your feet. 

It's the sort of thing where we always learn a lesson - don't forget the extra speakers because if it's too quiet, they won't listen, and glass jugs break when dropped - though the important things were everyone (including the leaders) had fun, everyone was fed, everyone got SOME sleep and everyone wants to do it again at some point. 

When I got back to my own house though, I thought I felt pretty good on about four hours of sleep, even whilst I was putting away kit and throwing clothes into the washer, but then when I went out of the house to get on with my Sunday and I realised I was actually dog tired, and it makes me wonder how I've managed a few months where I've camped more weekends than I haven't and I've camped on three or four weekends back to back. It's not even as though that was so very long ago really, but hey, it's not stopping me, is it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment