6 Feb 2016

It's Not Over Tonight,

The title of this blog is not just a lyric from a fantastic Maroon 5 song. 

The following assertion was first brought up when I was in about Year 6 (so at the age of about 10/11); I suck at endings. Badly. 

Endings make me both happy and sad, and I struggle with them quite greatly. I have therefore developed a terrible habit of delaying them, where possible. Now, I don't mean with things like university, where I was there an extra year, or being in this job for a bit longer than I'm happy with; it's more superficial than that, in a way.

At the moment, I am working on knitting projects which I started months ago and am trying to finish them, or even ones that I thought about bought the materials for and have then left in a variety of containers never to be thought of again. I've still got to fix the hood onto a small purple hoodie and finish the back of a little pink jumper, then there's a white baby blanket which I initially started for a baby I am almost certain is over a year old by now. I have a big blanket that doesn't count though because that was always going to be an excessively long plod to an ever moving finishing line. 

It's not just knitting projects, though. It's also novels. I don't want to count the number of notebooks and Word documents that I have started and have fallen by the wayside. Inevitably the conclusion which can be drawn by anyone is that it vastly outweighs the number of those which have been finished and makes the number which have been self-published (currently one and a bit, shall we say since I pulled one of them a few years ago) look minuscule. The problem with thinking like that, of course, is that the next few years, at least, would be such a momentous uphill climb that I wonder if I would even be able to get myself out of bed in the morning with the thought of the task at hand. Also, a focus on quantity as that would be disgusting regarding the fact that I could find myself compromising on the quality and that, beyond all doubt, is not and cannot be the point. 

I've been asking for years that people bare with me and proposing and re-proposing dates for things. Revisions are constant it seems, thanks to the ebbing and flowing of motivation for particular projects. It's not even a lack of commitment to them, simply a myriad of commitments that mean I seem to be spreading myself too thinly. 

The simple fact of the matter is that I now have a date in mind for the release of Yours, however, past experiences being what they are, I am not going to be putting that detail forward until we're a bit closer to making it happen. Having just looked at the calendar, though, it's going to be tight to do. I suppose it is a good thing that I like a challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment