6 Mar 2016

Pride + Prejudice + Zombies

Proud Zombies? Yeah, no, it's not that at all.

If you were at my writer's group earlier you'll probably be bored of me talking about this, and if you know me quite well this might come as a shock to you, but I actually really enjoyed this movie, so much that I want to tell you as to why.

When this book was originally released I was really confused and I didn't like the idea of it, because it just seemed like a rip off of Pride an Prejudice. Now before anyone even thinks what about fan fiction, yeah, I get why people enjoy it, but it's not my thing. I've still not read the book, but was bored so decided to watch the film, and I cannot believe how much I enjoyed it. 

*Spoilers are inevitable*

Whilst the first part of the movie is completely out of nowhere, it sets up the film so well and allows them to keep to the book really well. There are quite a few important scenes which they have adjusted really well, but then they keep the original dialogue and it makes it wonderful. 

I also think that no other person could have played Mr Collins like Matt Smith. In a similar fashion to the beautiful way that he played Doctor Who, Matt Smith was a wonderful, quirky character that made Mr Collins ridiculous and funny in equal measures. The best thing I can say about it is he makes the character work without turning him into something seedy and unpalatable, but Mr Darcy is not Mr Darcy. The fact that if it weren't for Elizabeth Bennett he wouldn't make it to the end of the movie is ridiculious. He's not quite the level of awful that whichever Jonas was in Les Miserables 25th anniversary concert was, but it was the same vein of wet fish playing supposedly commanding character. I guess that getting someone to play Mr Darcy will always be a Herculian task though, because everyone brings their own idea of who he is to the character. 

I'm sure that there will be people saying that there are issues with the way that the characters are dressed and the weapons they used, or just generally issues with the way it has been put together, but personally I think it is fantastic, partly because it's nothing like anything I have really seen before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment