31 Mar 2016

Commitment-aphobe,

I'm not scared of commitment. Commitment is something that I think is paramount in life, but I'm better at it in some areas as opposed to others. Editing is probably my worst area with it because I have negative feelings towards the process (I get bored), and I have quite negative feelings towards what comes later (sharing your work with the world is terrifying). 

There are other problems, too. I use the cover art designer on the publishing website, but because the last thing I want is any form of copyright problems, I tend to stick with their stock images as opposed to doing anything different. That creates an issue when I know roughly what I want the book to look like, and there's no way for me to get it there. That's still a little while down the line, though.

The trip to Edinburgh was supposed to give me time to edit. The reality was not quite so pleasant, and I'm finding that getting back into doing it is hard. When I chose my desk and my swivel chair etc., I was thinking about the long hours of editing but hadn't figured out just how much my butt would hurt on this chair. I also need to find a way to raise my screen because it is hurting my neck and my back. Whinging aside, being in pain is obviously not conducive to getting the edit done. 

Now, heading back to the subject of commitment. Camp NaNo is about making your commitments to what you will do with this month. April, like November, is 30 days of literary abandon, but instead of a strict target of 50k+ you can choose your word limit, and also whether you work on something old, something new, something fan-fic or something rude. 

I'm not going to commit to writing a blog every day because I would fail and that would make me feel like rubbish, which isn't helpful. I'm also not going to commit to getting the novel edited before the end of April because the same would happen. Failure does not sit well with me, so I'm not going to set myself up to fail. I know it's counterproductive to do that to myself, so all I'm committing myself to - to the distaste of Yoda - is to try. In trying, I will see where I get. It's obvious what my hopes are for this month, so let's get on in there and see what happens. 

To those joining me at Camp, I'm bringing the marshmallows. To the first timers, Welcome, Willkommen, Bienvenue, and Bienvenido. (Sorry, they are the only languages I can do!) And for those of you still considering, or who were not considered joining us on this literary treasure trail, vocabulary scavenger hunt and associated camp fire story telling adventure: come to the writing side, we have the s'mores. Now away to your cabins to hide from the bear of procrastination!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment