12 Jan 2016

Maybe They're Not Gone,

Once a year, I get a little bit emotional. Okay, maybe a couple of times.

There are specific days within a year that I kind of forget how to cope with my life. There are three bigs ones, and two of them are really close together, which means I have a week of dark moods. Those days are the anniversaries of my nana and grandpa dying and the birthday of a friend who is no longer around.

I get quite badly affected by some things that happen in the world, and sometimes it doesn't make sense. Yesterday I woke up, as did most people, to the news that Bowie was dead. Bowie is dead, and it was more than a shock.

It's really strange because it feels like the first time my generation has experienced such a loss. I was born a couple of years after the world lost Freddie and almost a couple of decades after the death of Elvis. The only person that as a generation we lost on this scale was Princess Diana, and most of us were still just little people then. 

Chris Moyles reaction, most noticeable his statement that people like Bowie should not die, was the thing that got me. The thing is, they do, and they don't. 

Seeing the reactions of people across social media, speaking to people, everything yesterday proved that David Bowie is not dead. Everything that he created still exists, he can still be an inspiration as he has been, just as Freddie and Elvis still are. It's not the same, it can't be, but they are not gone. Not really. Not in the way that matters. They're still here like Salinger and Austen and Dickens. They will always matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment