23 Jan 2016

Sorry,

This is going to be another of those left field things that just kind of happened like an accidental chemical reaction in my brain because two things converged and I had a mini-Einstein moment. (Otherwise referred to as an 'ek' because it's not a Eureka moment.)

This afternoon I was speaking to a lovely lady that I have been friends with for over 6 years and who I, shamefully, haven't spoken to properly for a good portion of the last, maybe 4, of those. At the same time, I was listening to the song Sorry by Justin Beiber. 

Now, Sorry is actually about apologising for being a crappy boyfriend, but it made me think about the times that I've kind of been a crappy friend and, again, shamefully, there have been a lot of those times. 

In terms of friends, I can go months without speaking to people and years without seeing them and my friendships with them are fine because I'm a bit flighty to say the least. There was a point, embarrassingly that I responded to a friend saying happy birthday to me the following birthday. Granted, at the time I did not realise that was what I was doing, but I do it none the less. 

I know that one of the reasons that I do this is because I am connected to my friends through Facebook or whatever and so I know a bit/a lot, depending how much they overshare on Facebook, about what's going on in their lives, therefore, forgo the conversations about it. It's really bad and I'm really having to try to stop. There are people who mean the world to me that I haven't spoken to in so long and there is no real reason for it, and one of them I will probably never find again because he doesn't do the social media thing. 

Anyway, if you're reading this and I haven't spoken to you in a while, it's not because I don't love you, and from this point forward I am going to make more of a conscious effort, however I suck at this so if I fail, please don't hold it against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment