8 Apr 2016

Be Neutral,

I had a wonderful adventure yesterday that I didn't mention, because it didn't really fit with what I was writing about, and I don't walk around carrying a shoehorn as an accessory. 

After finding out that someone I appreciate is expecting a tiny human, I decided that I wanted to knit something for her, though I needed to keep it neutral as she doesn't yet know if it a boy or a girl, as it's too early to tell, and I'm not entirely certain that she wants to find out either. 

Those of you who don't knit will probably just assume that 'staying neutral' when making gifts is just a case of colours - it's not. In terms of netural, with the right sort of pattern, you can put mint green, lemon, cream or white on a baby of either gender. The sales assistant tried to tell me that you could also put lavender/lilac on both, but I don't know many people who would dress a baby boy in something that colour, particularly if it was completely that colour, and not part of a scheme.

As I said, with the right sort of pattern. Now, maybe I am too used to the idea of babies being put into their gender but I couldn't, myself, dress a baby boy in a lace cardigan (even if it was blue) and, probably because I have access to some of the most beautiful patterns for girls. I'm not sure that I could dress a little girl in something like a cable knit jumper or a grandpa cardigan. Then again i haven;t done enough messing around to really make a decision on that one. 


Also on the topic of being neutral, I realise I was being particularly negative on Sunday, when I was talking about Inequality, and I want to set the record straight. 

Now I know that I complained about being told that I look good before the make-up whilst I was putting it on, but that's because it feels really negative. It feels negative because someone is trying to say I look better before doing something that I love doing; I look better without a part of myself.

On the way home on Saturday, after visiting Planet Organic, I got talking to a vegetarian girl on my Tube, and another girl who lives in a studio close to my place. Granted, these were women, but everything we said to each other was neutral, or a positive and present compliment. Saying I love your shoes is the same sort of thing. The experience I have previously had is more like You're shoes would look better if you didn't wear them. 

The safest bet is to keep conversation neutral until you know the person, or at least are a little bit acquainted with them. 

I'm going to sleep - catch you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment