22 Apr 2016

Walk Away from Miracles,

I try not to write anything too personal on here, because if I don't want it all over the internet, then I shouldn't be putting it there. That being said, I dropped the ball the last few days when I haven't been writing on here, but that's because I knew I couldn't do it without outpouring everything I was feeling, and I didn't want to do that. I'm sure it will find a way of venting itself out eventually, but that's for another time.

One the taglines I have used about myself a lot is that I am a writer, a dreamer and fairies believer. I completely submit to that. I live that every day. I believe in miracles and true love, not necessarily soul mates, but romance. With that, though, I carry a slight realism that I used to think protected me. It doesn't so much as I wish it would, but I think if it were too strong, I would lose the dreamer and the fairies. 

Now I know my "belief" in fairies offends some people, but let me put it to you another way: having never knowing met a fairy, I cannot say for certain what one is. I don't believe there are extraordinarily tiny people with wings and flying dust and glitter living in the grass outside my current abode, but fairies exist even for people who don't believe in them because they are the concept in the mind if nothing else. (Can you tell that I miss being a philosophy student, instead of a philosophy graduate who hasn't used her degree in a long while?)

Regarding how that affects me as a writer, I feel like it means I can write romances and make them magical, but believable. I can write the sort of thing which, hopefully, sweeps people up and spins them around as though they were in the middle of a ballroom floor. I would like to think I can do that. The only issue I can have with things like that is that happily ever afters are not so easily won. 

To have that happy that other people hate you for, or the Disney looking romance, I don't know if it's possible in reality. Every relationship is a delicate balance, and every relationship goes through changes. Everyone argues, and couples fight every day, people break up every day, people make up every day, but not always. I would hate writing a romance that made it look like life is always perfect - it's not. I would hate to write anything that made relationships look like a breeze because they're not. It takes love, it takes talking, it takes work, it takes understanding and maybe just a heart shaped arrow and a sprinkle of fairy dust. If you want something, you have to fight for it. If you fight, you won't always win. It's hard; sometimes it's horrible, but I can't remember the last romance novel I read where one of them didn't have a failed relationship in their past. 

I'm trying to keep in mind while making myself write romance and I feel like I'm settling into the genre. 

Catch you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment