9 Apr 2016

Never Again,

Certain films and TV shows give you a feeling when you first watch them that cannot be explained. It happens with books, too, but I find that it is less often. 

I have a really bad habit of forming something of an emotional attachment to these things, and so it has lead me to re-watch and re-read things in a chasing the dragon-esqe style, in order to try to recapture that feeling. 

There's one book that I can always rely on to give me that feeling, because I'm still trying to figure it out, and that is The Monsters of Gramercy Park by Danny Leigh. It iss probably one of the best written books I have ever read, along with a couple of the John Green novels, Pride and Prejudice and a couple of others.

There are some films that people watch religiously and I raise an eyebrow and think, why? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a big one - I really don't get that, but some people don't understand how I can have a place in my calendar for watching V for Vendetta and The Nightmare Before Chirstmas year after year, and also rewatch The Failt in Our Stars, Kingsman, Our Girl & Dr Strangelove just whenever the feeling takes me. (The list of films I have rewatched several times is longer than those, but they are the big ones. 

I know what it is that causes the feeling as well, because I got it from watching Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, too and everyone knows you have to accept that it is ridiculous. I personally think that the film was pretty well done, except Darcy - he's short, has a funny voice and is generally awful!, but more than anything it was different. It's originality is beautiful. 

As a 90s kid, I grew up with board games and Barbie dolls and caravan holidays, but then suddenly the internet seemed to happen out of nowhere, and we're now bombarded with media and advertising and just everything from every angle. Where we used to be able to go on holiday and bring back something amazing that no-one has seen before, and now we have Amazon. We can order practically anything from there. 

Something new and special makes me excited. I used to get that feeling every time I went to see a film, but things can be so recycled (and not in a good way) these days that I get bored easily. People wonder why I tend to take my knitting with me when I go to the cinema. The other problem, of course, is the hype that is created around certain things, like Batman vs. Superman. Before the movie came out it was hyped up, because they are two familiar and amazing characters, they are phenominal, but the film was, erm, less than I expected. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I don't think so, because I expected a lot, and it delivered so much that I was sat speechless other than the word immaculate several times for about twenty minutes after the film ended. 

I think about this a lot because I want the things that I write to give people that feeling. I want to spread that feeling, because it is something pretty major. I don't know if it will ever happen, has happened, or will happen again, but I guess that I can hope. 

Catch you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment