5 Jul 2020

Why are you writing romance novels in a dating draught?

Some people called the UK lockdown the sex ban, and others looked for ways to date without being in the same room as the other person. I'm a big fan of the arrange a phone call before an in-person date because I have been on BAD DATES before partly due to not having done this. When a guy can't carry his end of the conversation, it's going to go badly. (I'm definitely not referring to the guy whose only activity outside of work was apparently sitting in the pub with his friends talking about what other people do with their lives and then had the cheek to say there was no spark. Seriously, apparently wasn't even into traveling or anything generic, just work, same friends, same pub, same drink, home, then back to work...) When lockdown started, I headed back to my parents' place to have some company through the worst of it and also try and recover my mental health a bit from a battering due to work, medication and a very crappy ex-partner, but it has made even the idea of Skype dates kind of awkward. I love the idea of either getting a takeaway or cooking something and then having a Skype dinner, but I'm not doing that with my parents in the background and there is a rule in this house of no food upstairs, so I can't even escape to the office for some privacy. Maybe if I said, Mum, going on a date there might be a relaxation in the rules, but then we'd also have to discuss that my shirt was too low cut and my lipstick too red, and everything about the guy afterward and honestly, I don't have the energy, so I kind of put even the idea of dating onto a hiatus, however...

...I'm writing romance novels... 

Seriously. I have previously written novels with another storyline and the romance just trots along the side because I like writing about the characters meeting and falling in love and having happily ever afters, or not, but recently I seem to be addicted to writing books which the main storyline is boy meets girl, or girl meets boy, or whatever. And I'm going to be honest, it's starting to grate a little. 

Maybe it's just frustration with life in general. Maybe it's frustration with everything that has changed because of the virus. Maybe it's because most of my friends are engaged, announcing pregnancies, having babies or whatever and I'm still sat here feeling like the singlest of single Pringles, but writing romance is starting to great.  It doesn't help that the last couple of these blogs I have been writing, after some sentences, my anxiety adds the words 'I don't know diary' onto the end and makes me feel like an angsty teenager... Maybe I actually sound like an angsty teenager. The last time I lived at home I was seventeen and a very angsty teenager and it's really easy to slip back into those old roles and patterns, so it's possible. 

Anyway, my hands are really sore thanks to an allergic reaction to something somewhere between last night and this morning, so I think I'll sign off now and just have a read for a bit, whilst I hope that the antihistamines and the E45 do their work and stop my hands from feeling like they are on fire. 

Charlieswrite, Sporadically Yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment